Tuesday, June 9, 2015

#ThailandTuesday: a season of faith and "see ya later"

At the end of May I went back to my home state of California to spend some time with friends and family before moving to Thailand.

It is a surreal thing, saying goodbye for an indefinite amount of time. "Bye gramma and grampa, hopefully see you in 2 years." I know the world is getting smaller and it's easier to travel, but there is something about saying goodbye and setting off on a new adventure into what seems like a great unknown.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who says "see you later" more than "goodbye." I say "see you later" to almost complete strangers or people that I might not ever see again. I don't know if it is me trying to be hopeful or just avoiding the finality of an ending.

Anyway, it is just an interesting season of saying "see you later to so many friends and family.

It is also such a season of faith. I don't think I imagined the process going quite like this. For one, I imagined the support raising process to go a lot faster than it has. I had hoped to be almost done by now. But here I am, 4 months in and 2 months away from leaving and I am at 25% of my monthly support. That has been a place for me to really rely on God. It's almost like I had this idea of, "ok God, I got this..l here is my plan and here is how it will go and I trust You and everything but I'm putting my hope in this plan that I have in mind. " And then when my plans don't work I jump to thinking that I need to work harder or repent for something I must be doing wrong. Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful for everyone who has given so far, but there is still a ways to go.

This past weekend I was watching veggie tales and the story of George Mueller came on. It was so simple- a man called by God to look after England's orphans who just daily trusted God to meet every need, not just for himself but for all of those he cared for. We are called to be diligent and work hard, but we are kidding ourselves if we think that that alone will sustain us. God is our provider. Every good and perfect gift comes from Him. I was convicted and I repent of anytime I tried to depend on my own understanding through this process.

I am called to simply trust and obey (for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, than to trust and obey).

Blessings to you all, and as always, feel free to contact me at any time!

No comments:

Post a Comment