What about this?
These are pictures of children I have met around the world. It seems that our American culture likes to see pictures of children and poverty because we like to feel empathetic. We get stirred up and think, oh my, how sad. People often show sad pictures or videos to get people to feel a certain way so that they will respond. But then after it's over, people go back to their normal lives.
It is no secret that issues such as poverty are very complicated. Poverty cannot be fixed by giving people money. Similarly, orphans would not cease to exist just because people all of a sudden decide to adopt them all. There are complicated problems that contribute to these issues. Well, that's discouraging... so what can be done?
Well, even though these issues are complicated, adoption can be a beautiful way to help children and need. I should know because I was adopted myself.
However, international adoption is extremely complicated. It takes years to go through the process and is extremely expensive. It takes a special person to be able to stick it out through that process. And then things don't get easier once the child is with the family. There is often trauma and attachment issues the child might have. Sometimes parents can't handle the stress of that and try to get rid of the child they just adopted (which is so sad). And then to add to all of that, public policy can make the adoption process tough as well and many parents get "stuck" in the adoption process (see the video below).
So why am I spending the time writing about all of this? Well, social work is one of the professions that helps parents through the adoption process and I am graduating in a month with my Masters in Social Work (MSW)! Social workers help by educating the community and parents about adoption, conducting home visits, and providing all the services required by law to adopt. As I get ready to move to Thailand, I have heard that there is a need to help some foreign families who live in Thailand who are trying to adopt Thai children. One of the ways I could help is by conducting the required home studies and help educate the families on the adoption process and what they can expect. This is a practical step that would hopefully speed up the process for these families and help them get "unstuck".
So, guess what?! You have the opportunity to invest in that process through prayer and financial giving. I can't conduct home studies if I'm not there and I can't go unless I have the financial means. While this is not the primary reason that I am going to Thailand, I do think it is an amazing opportunity to see God place the lonely into families!! Let me know if you want to be a part of that as well!
Here's another beautiful video about adoption :)


No comments:
Post a Comment