There is a lot to do.
So far this year I decided to move to Thailand, have been raising support, moved twice and am about to move again, graduated from Baylor with my Masters in Social Work, and have continued to teach lessons and babysit for work.
I don't say all that to try and brag. There is just a lot to do.
In the midst of doing a lot, our focus can become too narrow. We start thinking our days are supposed to be filled with endless activity and to-do lists. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing necessarily wrong with the things we fill our days with. I don't know if it's just me but I can often forget why I am doing those things in the first place.
This past Sunday at church I was sent out and prayed over during our services.
Now, I'm gonna get real with you. This summer I haven't been so faithful about being in church every Sunday or spending set aside time with God every single day. And that's OK, I mean, I'm not trying to be legalistic by saying going to church every week is your indicator of how you are doing spiritually. But I've been busy. There is a lot to do.
This past Sunday we also sang the Elevation Worship version of "Blessed Assurance." It has the same text as the original hymn, but with an added bridge.
"Oh what a Savior
Wonderful Jesus
Death could not hold You
You are victorious
Praise to the risen King"
It just repeats that over and over. Simple. Profound. Truth.
What an amazing reminder.
We talk about mission often; we have a job to do. But I think we sometimes forget that before we were given a mission, God had a mission.
Jesus.
We have been rescued, redeemed, loved. And it came with a price. It has taken me years to even begin to scratch the surface of what that price meant. I think as I was growing up I heard that Jesus died for me so much that I almost felt like it was His duty to die for me. But as I've gotten older, I've realized how much I really don't deserve it- how much the world really doesn't deserve it.
But scratching the surface on that reality is what begins to spark a fire in me about sharing that reality with others. It doesn't have to be our duty or to-do list. It can be our joy and delight.
As I prepare to go, I want to keep this at the forefront of my mind. And it's something I hope you will remember as well. You don't have to go far away to understand this reality and share it with others. It can happen anytime, any place, and with anyone.
Be encouraged today, friends. We have a Savior, Wonderful Jesus. Death could not hold Him and He is victorious.

No comments:
Post a Comment