I am a volunteer. I don't get paid to do what I do. Because of this I find myself in what seems like a constant season of fundraising. But why? why would someone with 2 degrees from a prestigious university decide to move half-way around the world and do a job that you could earn at least 3x as much to do in the states? I wonder if anyone has wondered about that and these are the questions I want to answer.
1. What does your work entail?
I am a music teacher at an International Christian School. I teach elementary music and this year we will be starting band. I teach drama and help our school put on productions. My music education degree has provided the skills to do this while my social work degree has provided me the skills to understand people and culture better. I use my social work degree in any way I can, whether it is in conversation with other colleagues or in working more intentionally with students, their families, and our community.
I am a missionary from a church and so my hope is that people here would have an opportunity to at least hear about Jesus. Many people in this country have never even heard of Him. Can you imagine that? I would say that everyone in America has at least heard about Jesus. But somewhere around 99% of people in Thailand are unreached, meaning 99% of this country has never been reached with someone just sharing about Jesus.
2. Why doesn't your church or school pay you? Why do you have to ask people for money?
My funds are raised through my church that then allows me to do work at the school and in the community. People who give, give to my account at the church which then gets distributed like a monthly pay check.
The church doesn't pay me from its own funds because our church sends out many people. Having people raise their own funds allows us to send out even more because the church can't say, we only have enough to send x amount of people. Plus it provides more partnerships to develop between those who give and those who go.
The school doesn't pay me because a majority of the students come from families who are serving in some volunteer capacity as well. Me being a volunteer allows students to get a quality education at an affordable price while their parents serve. The tuition they pay goes to school maintenance and development, purchase of resources, and salaries for Thai staff.
I have to ask people for money because I am dependent on donations (and also totally dependent on God's provision).
3. Is it worth it?
Absolutely. I LOVE my work. It is challenging but the best possible fit for me at this season in my life. Here's a common scenario I regularly encounter that I want you to picture with me:
A family feels burdened by something they hear about in Thailand (human trafficking, or poverty, or orphans, or unreached people,etc). They pray and decide to relocate their family to work with an organization that helps them realize their vision. However, they have to raise funds because they are going to serve a vulnerable population in a foreign country where they can't necessarily get paid. On top of that the family starts wondering about education for their children. Then they hear about our school and that just maybe they don't have to sacrifice the quality of their child's education. And I get to teach their students about things that I love (music and Jesus) and our lives become richer because of it (they teach me so much!). It is a beautiful, sometimes messy, community of people from literally all over the world.
Here is what I would like to point out: people who support teachers or missionaries at our school are not just supporting one person; they are serving nations. As a supporter to me you are allowing me to be here which allows students to be here which allows a school to be here which allows more families to come which allows captives to be set free, orphans to find families, and people to hear the good news of Jesus.
This purpose has given me great courage in the face of what seems like impossible odds. There are times when I don't know how provision will come but it always does. And I want to continue to invite friends to be a part of that. I am currently looking for financial partners to help with expenses for this upcoming school year. Please email me at klight@quikmail.org if you are interested in being a part. It's easy to give online and all donations are tax deductible. I'm also always looking for prayer partners. If you aren't on my prayer update list and would like to be, please email me as well.
Godspeed, friends, as we press on toward the goal!
Kassie is so much more than a music teacher. She pours herself and all her amazing energy into our students and breathes life. We are so thankful for her at our school!
ReplyDelete